Church History

From the tent, Tabernacle relocated to City Hall Auditorium for several months. In 1908 the church moved into a wooden structure in the 600 block of Second Street. In early 1917 the church moved to Second and
Arch Streets where a Sunday School building and temporary sanctuary were added. Dr. A.C. Baker oversaw the construction of the auditorium in 1927. On May 3, 1953, ground breaking was held for construction of a new educational building. Construction of the Activities Building began September 18, 1977. These facilities were renovated several times. In 2002, Tabernacle sensed God calling us to leave downtown. Services were held at the AmStar theatre for 18 months while the new building at 6611 Zebulon Road was being built. Tabernacle moved into the present location in 2004.

Ministries at Tabernacle have also changed with the times. In November 1937, Tabernacle opened a soup kitchen in which 386,000 free meals were served. A day camp program began at Tabernacle Lake in 1964 and continues ministering to children every summer. The Montpelier Station Arts and Crafts Festival was held for 18 years. A “Special Children’s Day” is held each year for handicapped children.

As you can see, Tabernacle Baptist Church is rich in its history of growth – both physical and spiritual – changing with the times to minister to the needs of the community around her.
for more info visit them online at
www.tbcmacon.com
TABERNACLE BAPTIST CHURCH
6611 Zebulon Road, Macon, GA 31220
(478) 476-3507 office (478) 476-9436 fax
www.tbcmacon.com
No comments:
Post a Comment